HomeComing 🏡

It was, is and always will be the most tiresome yet self satisfacting job, moving into a new house. Never more delightful when you move in an area where you spent all of your childhood. You can just breathe in the air and get overwhelmed with nostalgia. How you wish, you were back in your shorts playing cricket in the ground, coming home covered up in dust, drinking up ₹3 soda after the match like a cowboy from the wild west.

I was moving into a new house and the movers had just dropped off the entire lot. So many people, I knew when I lived here, not anymore. Most of them have moved on to different lives, different worlds or different passions; renting their houses to tennants. I had hired a bunch of daily weager men to help me set up the house. It was a two floor house and I had rented both. The ground floor was planned to be modified into a work place while I lived upstairs. (OK! Google, remind me to look up an interior designer, may be call Aru.)
The work place was supposed to be empty as of now. (I was a sucker for such details.) Unfortunately the movers had dumped all of it where it shouldn't be, in the ground floor.
Most of the shift to first floor was done by early evening while the sun was still up. Last couple of boxes. Instructing the men to finish it up fast, I ran downstairs and out to buy some edibles for all. May be some drinks to pass it down too. How did I forget to eat! ( Who am I kidding? I always forget to eat.)

Hurring down the stairs, my eyes went black and light again. And the world started spinning. (Wow! Dehydration and an empty stomach finally decided to catch up.) Sitting in a rollercoaster, I heard a voice, "Hi! Are you the one new here?". My eyes went blank just a couple of steps off the base, I passed out. Not before watching her dash out the gate.

I woke up to a drenched face. I sat up, grabbed the jug she was holding, held it up my lips and gulped it all in. "Wow! You really are thirsty."
It took a small struggle but I stood up. She extended her hand. "Hi!" I shook her hand.
"Hi! I'm Ekant. You are ?"
"Avni. So you are my new neighbour."
"Well. Yea and nada. Yes I'm your neighbour but I'm not new. I've been her all my childhood, it like homecoming to me. What about you? Never saw you around when I was."
"Oh! We are here some three-four-ish years now. Anyways is it your thing?"
"Excuse me ?"
She chuckled. "No! It is common for you to welcome your first guest by passing out."
And we burst out laughing.
"How can you be sure you are my first guest?" I joined in.
"Well! Am I not ?"
"Umm! Kind of no, you see, there are a few good men working upstairs."
"Damn!" She teased.
"Damn!" I tossed it back.
It was then we realised, we hadn't finished our handshake yet. *Awkward*
"So, Athithi Devo Bhavan huh ? You want to 'Visite de la maison' " Trying to sound charming.
"Vizi la Mazi what ? "
"I mean you wanna come in ? "
" That's better than vizi mazi."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anna & Deck

Love takes sacrifices !!!!

My 'Kai Po Che' review